Animal Services

The City of Windsor Heights Police Department provides animal control for residents living within the city limits.

Pet Licenses

All dogs and cats are required to be licensed in the City of Windsor Heights on an annual basis from the first day of January each year. Applications made on or after April 1 are delinquent and the license fee is doubled. 

Obtaining a License

Online Pet License Form (Sign in Required) - To obtain a license, complete the online form by creating an account from the link above.  Check out the FAQs on why you need an account.

Online licenses will be mailed to the contact information provided in the form. 

Those owners wishing to submit a form by mail with a check may do so by downloading a printable form here: 2023 Pet License Form - Print Only. First time registrations need to be mailed


  • Pet License - spayed/neutered animal: $20 per calendar year 
  • Pet License – not spayed/neutered: $30 per calendar year 
  • Pet Unlicensed Delinquency Fee - Double original license fee (after March 31) 
    • Pets being registered for the first time are exempt from the delinquency fee
  • Fee Schedule set by Council resolution.

Animal Concerns / Complaints

Contact the Windsor Heights Dispatcher 24/7 at 515-222-3321 for Police Department response regarding:

  • Stray/nuisance animals
  • Animal bites
  • Animal welfare
  • Lost/found animals
  • Vicious animals

The city also has a cooperative agreement for services with Polk County Animal Control for those instances in which circumstances extend beyond the capabilities or resources of our patrol officers. Additionally, the city works with a no-kill shelter for abandoned animals.

Nuisance Wildlife Management

The Iowa Department of Natural Resources (DNR) oversees a Nuisance Wildlife Control Operations (NWCO) program for nuisance wildlife.  

Nuisance Wildlife Control Operators (NWCO) are licensed by the Iowa Department of Natural Resources. The Iowa Department of Natural Resources suggests that if you have a nuisance wildlife problem with your home, business or property; contact the NWCO nearest you. NWCO's are a private business, and are not an agent or employee of the Iowa Department of Natural Resources, nor the City of Windsor Heights.

Any person interested in becoming a Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator (NWCO) can review the NWCO Manual/Guidebook to determine if he or she qualifies, based upon practical wildlife trapping experience or related education, training or coursework.

For more information on this program, visit

For a list of current licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operators to assist with nuisance wildlife (for example raccoons, opossums, skunks, etc.) view the current licensed NWCO resources on the Iowa DNR website ate

Lost & Found Animals

Should your pet become lost or you locate a lost pet, please contact the Police Department for assistance. You can also check our Police Department Facebook page for postings.

City Guidelines for Animals