The City of Windsor Heights Police Department provides animal control for residents living within the city limits.
Animal Concerns / Complaints
Contact the Windsor Heights Dispatcher 24/7 at 515-286-3632 for Police Department response regarding:
- Stray/nuisance animals
- Animal bites
- Concerns for animal welfare
- Lost/found animals
- Reported injured animals
- Wild and/or aggressive animals
The city also has a cooperative agreement for services with Polk County Animal Control for those instances in which circumstances extend beyond the capabilities or resources of our patrol officers. Additionally, the city works with a no-kill shelter for abandoned animals.
All domesticated animals are required to be licensed in the City of Windsor Heights on an annual basis.
Registration is due January 1st - March 31st each year. After March 31st, the penalty will be double the registration amount.
Obtaining a License
To obtain a license, please bring the following information to Public Safety Building, 1133 66th St, Windsor Heights IA 50324.
- Current rabies vaccination certificate
- Proof of spaying/neutering from your veterinarian
- 2020 Pet License Form
The Public Safety Building is open Monday-Friday from 8 am - 4:30 pm. They will give you a current tag that needs to be displayed on your pet’s collar and accept cash, check, and credit cards (2.50 fee).
- Pet License - spayed/neutered animal: $20 per calendar year
- Pet License – not spayed/neutered: $40 per calendar year
- Pet Unlicensed Delinquency Fee - Double original license fee (after March 31)
Lost & Found Animals
Should your pet become lost or you locate a lost pet, please contact the Police Department for assistance. You can also check our Police Department Facebook page for postings.
City Guidelines for Animals
- Pets are not permitted to run at-large.
- Law requires you to pick up pet waste.
- Impounded animals incur a flat impound fee and boarding fee per day.