Who Do I Call?

Don't know who to call if you need to have your water turned off or if your recycling wasn't picked up this week? Here's a list of resources for Windsor Heights residents that will come in handy.

In the case of an emergency, always call 911.

Report an Issue

If you'd like to report an issue that may be in violation of the City Code, such as long grass or a car parked on a lawn, please contact City Administrator Dennis Durham at 515-645-6808 or ddurham@windsorheights.org

You can report the issue anonymously online at https://www.windsorheights.org/requesttracker.aspx or send a text to 855-637-9442. 

To reach the Police Department, please call 515-222-3321. Always call 911 in the event of an emergency.


Just text your question or concern to (855) 637-9442. If you are asking a question, you will get a response with a link to our website with more information. If that doesn't answer your question, you will then be able to send a message to City staff who will contact you during normal business hours (Monday - Fridays 8 am to 4:30 pm).

You can also report a concern by texting (855) 637-9442. This is a quick and convenient way to let the City know about issues in the community.

This is for non-emergency issues. Please always call 911 in the event of an emergency.

Missed Garbage Collection

Call Ankeny Sanitation, your garbage hauler, at 515-964-5229. Click here to learn more about garbage collection in Windsor Heights.

Missed Recycling

Call Waste Management (hauler) your recycling hauler at 515-244-7336. Click here to learn more about recycling collection in Windsor Heights.

Start/Stop Trash or Recycling

Call Des Moines Water Works at 515-283-8700. Garbage/recycling service begins when water service is requested. If it’s a new home, a cart will be delivered shortly after. Garbage/recycling service ends when water is canceled. When you move, leave your cart with the house.

Sewer Backup

If you suspect that the sanitary sewer is backing up through a basement drain, call the Public Works Department at 515-645-6825. If this happens outside of regular working hours (Monday - Thursday 8 am to 4:30 pm Friday) or you are unable to reach the Public Works Department by phone, call Westcom Dispatch at 515-222-3321 and they will contact the City for assistance.

Water Issue/Utility Billing

Call Des Moines Water Works at 515-283-8700.

Construction Questions

Check out the latest road construction update at https://www.windsorheights.org/489/Street-Project-Update. If you have a specific question, please contact Public Works Director Dalton Jacobus at 515-645-6825 or djacobus@windsorheights.org

Snow Removal Issues

Call the Public Works Department at 645-6825. Click here to learn more about snow removal in Windsor Heights.

Yard Waste Carts & Stickers

Yard waste carts and stickers can be purchased and renewed online. Click here to purchase your first cart. Stickers need to be renewed every year. Click here to renew your sticker.

Permit Application/Questions

To download a permit application, please visit https://www.windsorheights.org/514/Permits-Inspections.

The City of Windsor Heights contracts permit and inspection services to Safe Building Iowa. To apply for a permit, please send your application and plans (as needed) to Safe Building at office@safebuildingiowa.org or call 515-333-4161. Safe Building will process your application and answer any of your questions. The City of Windsor Heights will contact you for payment once Safe Building has approved your permit. All payments are to be made to the City of Windsor Heights. Permits are not valid until payment has been made.

The City maintains sewer inspection services and handles sidewalk and driveway permits and inspections.

City or Police Questions

City staff is happy to help you with any questions you may have and can be reached at City Hall at 515-279-3662. To reach the Police Department, please call 515-222-3321.