Stormwater Best Management Practices Program
What type of projects are covered?
The City of Windsor Heights may help you pay for part of your yard project if it helps improve surface water quality or reduce surface runoff.
- Soil quality restoration
- Rain barrels
- Native planting
- Rain gardens
- Bio-retention cells
- Other - please contact the City to see if your project qualifies
Why is the City doing this?
The City of Windsor Heights is dedicated to smart stormwater management. The City aims to increase both water quality and water quantity through the implementation of stormwater best management practices (BMP’s). Stormwater is water from rain, snowmelt, and surface drainage that runs off impervious surfaces such as paved surfaces, roofs, and compacted lawns. Stormwater can collect sediment, litter, contaminants, and other pollutants.
As part of the metro-wide #RainCampaign, the City Council approved reimbursements for soil quality restoration projects to be covered under this program. The City will match 75% of a project, up to $1,000 per property on soil quality restoration. The City Council appropriated $10,000 towards a Stormwater Best Management Practices (BMP) Program aimed at implementing BMP’s on private property that will go into effect on July 1st, 2019. Different types of BMP’s are cost-shared at different rates, as shown on the project application form. More information about each of the different BMP’s can be found on this page of our website.
What is soil quality restoration?
Click this video below from the #RainCampaign to learn more about the importance of soil quality restoration.
- One project per property per fiscal year.
- Funds are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- All projects are subject to review and approval of the public works director.
- The maximum reimbursement amount is $1,000 per project or $75 for a rain barrel.
- Funds will be distributed to the legal property owner.
- The project application must be approved prior to beginning the project or making any project-related purchases in order for the expenses to be eligible for reimbursement.
- Only pre-approved budget items will be eligible for reimbursement.
- Funds are distributed on a reimbursement basis only. All receipts and invoices for the work must be submitted to the City after the project has been completed. Payment will be submitted for approval at the next regularly scheduled meeting of the City Council.
- All work is to be completed to the standards of the Iowa Stormwater Management Manual and Iowa SUDAS when applicable.
- All stormwater fees associated with the property must be current. This will be verified with the billing department at DMWW.
2020 Contest Winner
In February of 2020, the City of Windsor Heights gave away a free yard treatment to one lucky winner on Facebook. This is a part of our Stormwater Best Management Practices (BMP’s) Program. This yard is getting re-seeded and had yard compost added. Treatments like these improve the yard appearance and surface drainage. Click on the image below to watch a video of the treatment.