Yard Waste & Compost
The 2021 Compost It! season runs weekly on Fridays from April 9th through November 27th.
Yard waste bags and bundles are collected from the curb weekly during Compost It! season, typically on garbage collection day.
Order Bag & Cart Stickers
- Yard Waste Bags & Stickers - Not Carts
- New Yard Waste Cart (First Cart) - please create an account and click on the "Yard Waste" tab to order your first cart.
- Renew Yard Waste Cart - all current cart users need to renew each year.
- Click here to view a list of retailers that sell yard waste bags and stickers.
- Residents can purchase the bags and stickers at several stores across the metro. They don't have to be purchased within the city of Windsor Heights.
- There are no changes to bag and sticker costs: Bags are $8 for a bundle of 5; Compost It! stickers are $1.25/each; Annual cart stickers are $105 (or $106 if renewing online).
Small twigs and branches, leaves, and lawn clippings, as well as garden vegetation, can be collected.
- Twigs and branches: each bundle requires a green Compost it! sticker and must be smaller than four feet long by eighteen inches in diameter.
- Leaves and lawn clippings: these should be placed at the curb in Compost It! yard waste bags, or store-brand bags with a green Compost It! sticker. No other bags can be collected.
- Garden vegetation: if it died on the vine, it can be disposed of through the Compost It! program. However, spoiled fruits and vegetables from the fridge belong in the trash.
Help Ordering Stickers
Watch this video that shows how to renew your sticker online on a desktop
The video below shows how to renew your sticker on a smartphone.
The video below shows you how to purchase your first cart sticker on a smartphone.
If you need additional help ordering your sticker, please call 515-279-3662.
After the regular season ends in November, there will be two more chances in 2021 for yard waste pickup.
- Friday, December 31st
- Friday, December 7th
Both carts and bags can be used for Winter Collection. Wreaths and garlands won't be accepted, but Christmas trees with a sticker will be picked up.
For missed yard waste collections, please contact Metro Waste Authority at 515-244-0021 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Compost It!
A Compost It! cart is on wheels, just like your Curb It! recycling cart, making it a convenient alternative to yard waste bags. Simply wheel it to the curb on garbage day during Compost It! season. The 96-gallon cart can hold the equivalent of three yard waste bags, but you can always use the Bags & Sticker program if your yard waste exceeds the cart’s capacity. For more information, visit the Metro Waste Authority Cart Service page.
This program is managed by Metro Waste Authority, they have contracted ASI to be the hauler for yard waste pickup. That means you will see ASI picking up your yard waste, but everything else related to the program goes through Metro Waste Authority.
If you are moving, you may leave your cart for the next resident. If you no longer want your cart, you have the option to use it for storage, gift it to a neighbor, or sell it as you own the cart. Metro Waste Authority will not take the cart back unless it is new. If you have additional questions, please call Metro Waste Authority at 515-244-7336.