FAQ for Windsor Heights Garbage, Recycling & Yard Waste Collection
Friday is your collection day in Windsor Heights for all services – garbage, yard waste and recycling. Garbage and yard waste (during the yard waste season) are collected EVERY week. Recycling is collected EVERY OTHER week (see calendar on lid for your week).
- For a missed collection? Call ASI, your garbage hauler at 515.964.5229
- For cart repair/replacement? Call ASI, your garbage hauler at 515.964.5229
- To start/stop service? Call Des Moines Water Works at 515.283.8700. Garbage service begins when water service is requested. If it's a new home, a cart will be delivered shortly after. Garbage service ends when water is canceled. When you move, leave your cart with the house.
- To request an extra cart (for a fee)? Call ASI, your garbage hauler at 515.964.5229
- For a missed collection? Call Waste Management your recycling hauler at 515.244.7336
- For cart repairs/replacement? Call Waste Management, your recycling hauler at 515.244.7336
- To start/stop service? Call Des Moines Water Works at 515.283.8700. Recycling service begins when water service is requested. If it's a new home, choose a 96- or 48-gallon cart at this time. The cart will be delivered shortly after. Recycling service ends when water is canceled. When you move, leave your cart with the house.
- To request a different size cart (96 and 48 gallon carts available)? Call Waste Management, your recycling hauler at 515.244.7336
- For a missed collection? Call Waste Management, your yard waste hauler at 515.244.7336
- To sign up for the yard waste cart service? Stop in to Windsor Heights City Hall to fill out a form
Residents can call Metro Waste Authority at any time for general questions about their service. For more detailed information residents can also visit the Windsor Heights page on the Metro Waste Authority website at www.WhereItShouldGo.com/WH.
Curb It! Recycling Program
Curb It! is the curbside recycling program for most residents in Central Iowa and is managed by Metro Waste Authority. Click here for more information.
- What can be recycled? Click here to learn what is accepted and not accepted.
- View the Recycling Calendar
- Cart Placement Tips
Extra Trash & Large Items
Do you have furniture, appliances, or other large items to get rid of? Garbage collection services use the Large Item ($5) and Extra Trash ($1) stickers to allow you to dispose of these items. To determine what sticker you need, how many, and what items are collected, click here.
Yard Waste Compost It! Cart Service
A Compost It! cart is on wheels, just like your Curb It! recycling cart, making it a convenient alternative to yard waste bags. Simply wheel it to the curb on garbage day during Compost It! season. The 96-gallon cart can hold the equivalent of three yard waste bags, but you can always use the Bags & Sticker program if your yard waste exceeds the cart's capacity. Click here for more information.
Spring is showing itself early which means residents are ready to get out and do some yard work! So it’s time to talk Compost It! Yard Waste Season!
Here are updates and reminders about the 2017 Compost It! program to help you as the season approaches.
• The 2017 Compost It! season starts the week of April 3 and runs through Dec. 1, 2017.
• Winter Collection will be Jan. 2, 2018 – Jan. 12, 2018.
• There are no changes to bag and sticker costs: Bags are $8 for a bundle of 5; Compost It! stickers are $1.25/each; Annual cart stickers are $105 (or $106 if renewing online).
• Yard waste cart stickers and brochures will be delivered by March 1 to City Hall.
Visit Metro Waste Authority's website, to renew online or to answer questions, www.WhereItShouldGo.com/YardWaste.
Yard Waste Bags & Stickers
Yard waste bags and bundles are collected from the curb weekly during Compost It! season, typically on garbage collection day. Click here for ways to participate and the costs.
Click here to learn how to dispose of household hazardous waste.
The Answers to Common Curbside Collection Questions
Do you find yourself with questions about your curbside collection programs – garbage, recycling or yard waste? Here is an overview of who to call and when.
Missed Collection? Call your hauler.
Garbage – Ankeny Sanitation (ASI), 515.964.5229
Recycling or Yard Waste- Waste Management, 515.244.7336
Broken Garbage or Recycling Cart?
Garbage – Ankeny Sanitation (ASI), 515.964.5229
Recycling or Yard Waste – Waste Management, 515.244.7336
Need an Extra Cart?
Garbage: Ankeny Sanitation (ASI), 515.964.5229. Cost is $10.78/month.
Recycling: Metro Waste Authority, 515.244.0024. Cost is $30/year plus cart delivery fee.
Garbage service begins when water service is requested and ends when water is canceled. A cart should come with existing homes, but if not, call the hauler responsible for the service to request one be delivered (Garbage– Ankeny Sanitation (ASI), 515.964.5229; Recycling – Waste Management, 515.244.7336). When you move, leave your cart with the house.
Set Out Tips:
- Set out garbage, recycling and yard waste before 7 a.m. on your collection day.
- Consider the three-foot rule; there should be three feet between carts, yard waste bags and structures such as mail boxes, cars and lamp posts.
- Cart should be within 18 inches of the curb.
- Face the short metal bar toward the street.
- Position the cart on as level of surface as possible, away from overhanging tree branches.
- Make sure lid is closed.
If you have other questions, and you’re not sure who to call, you can always call Metro Waste Authority at (515)244-0021, or visit www.WhereItShouldGo.com/wh.