The Windsor Heights Foundation was incorporated in 1985 with a mission of raising funds to develop projects and programs to enrich and enhance of the life of residents of Windsor Heights and neighboring communities. The major project of most of its history has been sponsoring the annual free summer Music in the Park concert series. The non-profit organization also sponsors an annual holiday lighting contest, and provides grant support to the City of Windsor Heights for July 4th activities and special needs like the newly inaugurated Windsor Heights Police Department K-9 unit.
Several years ago, the Foundation contributed to the City $12,500 toward the upgrade of the playground in Colby Park. It is now helping to fund the installation of a play-on-it fire truck in the playground, dedicated in memory of Al Hunter, long time chief of the Windsor Heights Fire Department. That will be installed soon and dedicated during one of the Music in the Park concerts. An endowment fund was established in 2008 to provide a vehicle for interested people and businesses to dedicate funds which will have long-ranging benefit for the community. That fund, started with an inaugural gift of $20,000 from 3E—Electrical Engineering and Equipment Company—headquartered in Windsor Heights, and augmented with contributions from the Iowa Foundation for Education, Environment and the Arts, and other contributors, now totals more than $40,000.
For information on how to make a gift or bequest to the endowment fund, please contact George Hanusa at 515-255-6367 or David Swartz at 515-698-7878 or 515-278-2118. Gifts to the foundation Annual Fund can be sent to the Windsor Heights Foundation at 1133 66th St., Windsor Heights, IA 50324.
- David Swartz, President
- Angie Piziali, Vice President
- Kevin Gilchrest, Publicity & Secretary
- Flo Hunter
- Carroll Bennink
- Brook Wade
- Kory Hirth, Treasurer
- Sandy O’Brien
- Bart Warford
- Robert Lewis