Trash & Recycling
Ankeny Sanitation collects residential garbage using fully-automated collection vehicles.
- Please follow the guidelines below to ensure that your garbage collection goes smoothly.
- Please place all of your garbage (excluding yard waste and recycling) within the garbage container. Garbage that is not inside the container can not be collected.
- Please place your garbage container at the curb, with the wheels away from the street, by 6:30 a.m. on your collection day. In order for the collection vehicle to grasp the container effectively, it must be within 18 inches of the curb and at least 4 feet from any obstacles (e.g., mailboxes, signs, trees, utility structures).
- Also please close the lid on the container, and make sure it is not near any parked cars.
- If you have large items, or more trash than can fit in your cart, Extra Trash Pick Up Tags ($1) and Large Item Pick Up Tags ($5) be purchased at City Hall.
- Examples of large items include a table, couch, loveseat, chairs, boxes, mattress, or carpet.
- Appliances and electronics cannot be picked up on the regular trash route. Please contact Ankeny Sanitation’s office at 515-964-5229 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Order large trash pickup stickers here.
Who Do I Call?
- For a missed collection? Call ASI, your garbage hauler at 515.964.5229
- For cart repair/replacement? Call ASI, your garbage hauler at 515.964.5229
- To start/stop service? Call Des Moines Water Works at 515.283.8700. Garbage service begins when water service is requested. If it’s a new home, a cart will be delivered shortly after. Garbage service ends when water is canceled. When you move, leave your cart with the house.
- To request an extra cart (for a fee)? Call ASI, your garbage hauler at 515.964.5229
The containers are picked up every other week on your normal garbage collection day.
To request a different container size or for more information, contact Waste Management at 515-24-GREEN (515-244-7336).
Review a list of acceptable and unacceptable items to recycle.
Windsor Heights collection is the black lid schedule. View the 2020 schedule.
Missed collections should be reported to Waste Management at 515-24-GREEN (515-244-7336). Windsor Heights Public Works Department can not collect missed Curb It! recycling.
Recycling Drop-Off Events at the Metro Northwest Transfer Station
Recycling Drop-Off Events will be held from 8 a.m. to Noon, the second Saturday of the month from March to December at the New Metro Northwest Transfer Station, located at 4105 Beisser Drive in Grimes. Cardboard, paper, plastic. Please call first to see if it is open due to covid-19 (515-244-7336).
Who Do I Call?
- For a missed collection? Call Waste Management your recycling hauler at 515.244.7336
- For cart repairs/replacement? Call Waste Management, your recycling hauler at 515.244.7336
- To start/stop service? Call Des Moines Water Works at 515.283.8700. Recycling service begins when water service is requested. If it’s a new home, choose a 96- or 48-gallon cart at this time. The cart will be delivered shortly after. Recycling service ends when water is canceled. When you move, leave your cart with the house.
- To request a different size cart (96 and 48 gallon carts available)? Call Waste Management, your recycling hauler at 515.244.7336
If the following holidays fall during the week, collection will be delayed one day.
- New Year’s Day
- Memorial Day
- Labor Day
- July 4th