Parking on Grass & RV Parking
174.08 PARKING FOR PERSONAL AND RECREATIONAL VEHICLES.
This section permits the parking of personal vehicles on a single lot in a residential district subject to specific conditions. Personal vehicles include: passenger cars; vans; pickup trucks, camper shells, toppers, and other similar appurtenances intended for attachment to a personal vehicle; trailers under 20 feet in length; and boats. Trucks, tractor cab units, trailers, recreational vehicles, and vehicles over 2.5 tons gross empty weight shall be defined as heavy commercial vehicles.
2. Location of Parking
A. Parking is permitted within any enclosed structure when such structure conforms to the regulations of its zoning district.
B. Parking of personal vehicles is permitted on a paved driveway (outside of an enclosed structure) within the front yard setback, but shall in no case encroach upon the public right-of-way.
C. Parking of personal vehicles may occur in the rear yard setback (outside of an enclosed structure and not on the front yard paved driveway) if the Zoning Administrator determines that such parking conforms to the provisions of this Zoning Code, meets the following conditions:
(1) The parking space is provided on a paved surface connected by a paved surface to a dedicated public right-of-way and/or alley.
(2) The paved parking does not exceed the maximum impervious coverage limit for the lot.
D. Heavy commercial vehicles, including tractor cab units weighing more than 2.5 tons gross empty weight, and recreational vehicles shall not be parked on any lot within the RI, R2, R3, R4 and MH residential zoning districts, except as provided below.
3. Special Provisions for Recreational Vehicles and Boats.
Parking and storage of recreational vehicles and boats within residential districts is subject to the following:
CHAPTER 174 ZONING CODE – OFF-STREET PARKING
CODE OF ORDINANCES, WINDSOR HEIGHTS, IOWA - 1222 - Additional conditions.
These conditions are in addition to those requirements for the parking of Personal Vehicles.
A. Recreational vehicles and boats must be maintained in a clean, well-kept state.
B. Recreational vehicles and boats equipped with liquefied petroleum gas containers must ensure that such containers must meet the current standards of the Interstate Commerce Commission, the United States Department of Transportation, or the American Society of Mechanical Engineers. Any valves must be closed at all times that the vehicle is not in preparation for immediate use. Leaks in containers must be repaired immediately.
C. Recreational vehicles may be used as temporary housing by non-paying guests for a maximum of three consecutive days or 14 days total during any calendar year. Cooking in the recreational vehicle is prohibited at all times.
D. Recreational vehicles and boats may not be permanently connected to utility lines.
E. Recreational vehicles and boats may not be used for the storage of goods, materials, or equipment other than those items which pertain to the use of the vehicle.
F. If at all physically feasible on a lot, recreational vehicles and boats shall be parked outside of required front yard and street side yard setbacks if the Zoning Administrator determines that such parking conforms to the provisions of this Zoning Code and if such parking meets the following conditions:
(1) For all boats equal to or exceeding 16 feet in length, the parking space is provided on a paved surface connected by a paved surface to a dedicated public right-of-way and/or alley.
(2) For all boats less than 16 feet in length, the parking space provided is a separate or stand-alone paved surface with its width equal to or exceeding the width of the boat and with its length equal to or exceeding the length of the boat.
(3) For all other recreational vehicles, the parking space is provided on a paved surface.
(4) The paved parking does not exceed the maximum impervious coverage limit for the lot.
G. No more than two recreational vehicles and/or boats may be parked on a single property at any one time. Any recreational vehicle or boat parked on a property